Skip to main content

What to do if You Have Prediabetes or Diabetes


Talk with your health care provider at your next visit. If you have healthcare coverage, check with your provider to see what diabetes resources are available to you.

Call Be Well Arkansas. The trained call center staff can help you find the resources you need. They will direct you to the right program for you based on your location and needs.

Enroll in one of the many programs available to help you. 

Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)

The National Diabetes Prevention Program is delivered by a trained lifestyle coach to facilitate a small group of adults to discuss behavior changes that can improve their participants' health. The program helps you learn how to become more physically active, eat healthy, manage stress, and learn coping skills. The program also provides support that can help you make a positive change in your life.

If you have Diabetes, find a Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSME)

The Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support Program, helps participants create new, healthier lifestyles that will keep diabetes under control. The program explains what diabetes is and tells you how to recognize and manage the symptoms, how to monitor sugar and blood pressure levels, how to increase your physical activity, and how to make smarter food choices.


Wellness Counselors

The ADH has Wellness Counselors in every region of the state. Wellness Counselors have been trained to help you set and meet goals to live a healthier life. You will work with a counselor to manage diabetes or high blood pressure by learning to:

  • Eat healthy without giving up all the foods you love
  • Add physical activity to your life, even if you don’t think you have time
  • Deal with stress
  • Cope with challenges that can derail your hard work—like how to choose healthy food when eating out
  • Get back on track if you stray from your plan—because everyone slips now and then

If you are interested in working with a Wellness Counselor, call Be Well Arkansas or fill out the online form to request services.